One thing that initially scared me about using silverorange intranet is that it is a subscription, not a one-time purchase. A few months ago, I would not have even considered using software on subscription basis. But my thinking changed when I was thinking of services I could offer over the internet to take advantage of the current ridiculously low prices for bandwidth, rack space, and computer hardware. Charging a monthly fee for a hosted “solution” began making much sense.
As a programmer:
- Constant money in
- Much, much easier to support a product running on your own servers.
- Much easier to do continuous development, and to be in tune to your customers
As a customer:
- Someone else is responsible for making sure the dang thing is working
- Always using the latest version
- Bugs get fixed much faster.
The biggest risk though, is if the company with the solution will to stay in business.